A few words about my experience at MAPSS, UChicago
July 29, 2014 § 1 Comment
Someone approached me on Twitter a few days ago with some questions about MAPSS. We had a short email exchange recently that I thought I’d share on here in case other incoming MAPSS students are interested in learning about my experience there. This is, obviously, just one anecdote about what MAPSS is like, but hopefully readers can gather some insights to inform their decisions or expectations.
1. If you don’t mind being frank, when and why did you decide not to pursue a PhD?
2. Did you have a significant quant background before attending MAPSS? I also come from a Poli Sci/Poli Theory background…I was wondering how abrupt and difficult the transition was to more quant-oriented courses.
3. What is your experience of U Chicago’s career services and alumni network? Did you avail yourself of those connections?
4. What was your time at MAPSS like? Did you involve yourself in extracurriculars at all? Did you socialize a great deal with your MAPSS Cohort?
5. Do you have any tips or recommendations regarding the MAPSS experience that you would impart to someone beginning the program?